Sunday, September 28, 2014

Settling in

We've been settling back in to Pittsburgh.  The goats are doing well, going out to graze the yard, and Cle (of the broken leg) is healing slowly, but healing.

I'm trying to catch up work-wise so as to make for a less hectic rest-of-semester down the line (wishful thinking? perhaps, but worth a try).  And am doing a bunch of cheese making practice for Dairy class, with sometimes greater and often lesser successes.  It's interesting, because the "practical" parts of my job are things that I need to rely on already knowing (like teaching about goat care) because I don't seem to find the time to tinker enough to learn new things (like cheesemaking) well enough to teach them... So, meanwhile, I try, and we treat the cheesemaking parts of class as an exercise in "figuring things out" :)

In other news, despite having a few interviews, Mike didn't find a full time teaching job this fall... but honestly, I'm really grateful he didn't.  He is substitute teaching, and getting on all the sub lists for the various school districts in our area, so it seems as though he would actually be able to work almost as much as he'd like to... but meanwhile he can manage the goat grazing and milking and vet visits and daycare drop-offs and cooking and shopping and cleaning (all of which I miss getting to do, but not doing it makes the "catching up on work" thing above more possible).  Anyway, it's not a long term solution -- he'll need to find a more permanent teaching gig sooner or later, but for now this is really really nice, especially compared to last year when we both had way-more-than-full-time schedules. 

Meanwhile, here are some recent photos.  First, a series of Li'el-y pictures:








Second, leftover travel pictures from Israel and of an old old friend/roommate of mine who I hadn't seen in 17 years (with her kids)... and then kids on an airplane...

 






And then a few pictures from my folks' visit earlier this month:





And last, a few videos to send you off with:





No comments: